January Term in Alicante, Spain
Alicante, the jewel of the Costa Blanca
, is a charming harbor city that is both tranquil in its coastal climate and vibrant with modern Spanish life. The culture, architecture, language, and people have all been shaped by the region's rich history of sea merchants and conquerors.
The Spanish Studies Abroad January Term in Alicante is specially designed for students entering absolute beginner to high-advanced Spanish levels who want a rich immersion experience on a Spanish campus. This intensive language program is enhanced by homestays, study visits, cultural activities, and optional complementary survey courses, all of which help to bring context to the language and enhance immersion.
Learn the Language...
- Guided direct enrollment in courses specifically-designed for international students learning Spanish
- Spanish-Only Policy
- Classes taught by Spanish professors
- Intercambios with native speakers
Travel the Land...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Granada, Valencia, los castillos árabes of Alicante, Cathedral of San Nicolás, local museums and cultural sites, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain
Live the Life...
- Organized cultural activities with Spanish and international students
- Citywide festivals, such as Three King's Day!
- Access to campus resources
- Homestays with local families
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
The goal of the Spanish Studies Abroad January Term is to guide you to live as a member of your host community, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for international student learning Spanish and access to cultural resources and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad de Alicante
Through university coursework, homestays with native families, and multiple cross-cultural opportunities, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in Alicante to be a highly immersive and integrated study abroad experience.
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & board, meals, support of the onsite Resident Director, pre-departure support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a Spanish Studies transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
Minimum 3.0 overall GPA. Enrollment in individual courses depends upon your placement score on UA's Online Examination.
Start your online application today
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
Alicante, the jewel of the Costa Blanca, boasts a Mediterranean coastal climate and lifestyle. A rich history of sea merchants and conquerors has shaped this vibrant and modern city's unique Spanish character.
January Term in Alicante offers you an excellent opportunity to develop your Spanish skills while you enjoy the benefits that a city by the sea offers: downtown beaches, water sports, and a temperate climate. Enroll in up to six credits of Spanish language and culture. Students live in Spanish homes and participate in study tours, cultural events, and social activities. This 4-week session is an ideal short-term study abroad experience.
- Dedicated to academic excellence
- Classes taught by UA professors
- A 4-week term
- Earn up to 6 credits per term
- Beginner to advanced Spanish language courses at Universidad de Alicante
- Optional 1-credit content courses, complementing Spanish language study
- Homestays with local families
- 3.0 overall GPA required
- Some courses may have additional prerequisites