International Studies in English at Universidad Pablo de Olavide - Seville, Spain
Why choose Seville?
Seville, a beautiful and ancient city on the banks of the Guadalquivir River, is the centerpiece of your study abroad experience. Seville has a temperate climate and rich cultural life. As the land of Carmen and Don Juan, Seville embodies the culture of Southern Spain. In this picturesque city, you will discover Moorish palaces and renaissance gardens, flowered patios, paintings, statues, flamenco dancing and music, bull fights at La Real de Caballería, siesta, tortillas, and the Spanish way of life.
About the International Studies Program
Experience Seville, Spain with the International Studies Program in English at Universidad Pablo de Olavide
(UPO). This program offers students with little or no previous background in Spanish the opportunity to take courses in English and Spanish at a local Spanish university. With the support of a Resident Director, students enroll in a variety of content courses, specifically designed for international students. The program includes numerous cultural activities, day trips, and excursions.
- Take classes at a local Spanish University (UPO)
- Semester or Academic Year
- Opportunities to volunteer in local organizations
- All students enroll in a mandatory Spanish language class and a 1-credit SPAN 343: Cultural Realities of Spain course
- Classes generally meet Monday-Thursday, allowing for independent travel
- Average class size: 10-12
- 13 - 16 semester credits
LEARN THE LANGUAGE...
Guided direct enrollment in courses specifically-designed for international students learning Spanish
Classes taught by Spanish professors
TRAVEL THE LAND...
Visits to locations such as:
- Museo de Bellas Artes, a fine arts museum converted from a 15th-century convent
- Archivo de Indias, home to centuries of historical documents that chronicle Spain's role in the Americas
- Itálica, a vestige of the Roman Empire in Southern Spain
- Seville's principal monuments, such as the catedral and the Alcázar, a 10th-century Moorish Palace
- Art exhibits, concerts and evenings at the theater
- Day and Overnight Excursions may include: Roman, Muslim, and Jewish monuments in Córdoba, Mérida, and Cáceres
- The monastery of La Rábida, where Columbus planned his first voyage to the Americas
- The great Hispano-Muslim monuments of Granada at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains
LIVE THE LIFE...
- Spanish Studies Abroad-designed course to aid cultural adaptation
- Upbeat nightlife and rich cultural attractions
- Volunteer opportunities
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & board, meals, support of the onsite Spanish Studies Abroad Resident Director, pre-departure support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through UPO.
- No previous Spanish coursework required
- 2.9 overall GPA for Universidad Pablo de Olavide
- 13-16 semester credits
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011
Semi-Integrated Spanish Studies w/ Local Students - Seville, Spain
Live the sevillano lifestyle while earning course-credit through Spanish Studies Abroad semester programs. Seville, a beautiful and ancient city, is known for its winding Moorish streets, Renaissance gardens, grand architecture, and flamenco.
Semi-Integrated Spanish Studies
Students in the Semi-Integrated Spanish Studies with Local Students program take the majority of their courses at the Spanish Studies Center, while enrolling in 1-2 courses alongside Spanish students at one of Seville's local universities: Universidad Pablo de Olavide. Through a specially-designed culture course and intensive language program, you are guided through the process of studying abroad at a foreign institution, so that you may more fully integrate into the sevilllano culture. Spanish Studies in Seville also houses the Advanced Spanish Studies program, which is known for its rigorous academic curriculum and attention to the study abroad student's immersion experience. .
Learn the Language...
- Intensive Language Period, designed to prepare you for life and study at a foreign campus
- Guided direct enrollment
- Wide-array of courses offered through Universidad de Sevilla and Universidad Pablo de Olavide
- Independent Research Projects
- Intercambios with native speakers
Travel the Land...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Granada and the Alhambra, Ronda, La Rábida Monastery and the beach, Córdoba and the Great Mosque, Itálica, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain, Morocco, and Portugal
Live the Life...
- Spanish Studies-designed course to aid cultural adaptation
- Monthly fiestas for American and Spanish students at the Center in Seville
- Sevillanas dance classes and citywide festivals, such as Feria, Spain's largest folkloric festival
- Internships, service learning projects, and volunteer opportunities
- Homestays with local families or housing in student residence halls with Spanish students
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
With over 40 years of academic excellence in Spanish studies, Spanish Studies Abroad offers advanced Spanish language students the opportunity to take classes alongside local students while benefiting from the cultural guidance, language tools, and academic quality that defines Spanish Studies programming.
The goal of the Semi-Integrated Spanish Studies with Local Students program is to guide you to live as a member of sevillano culture both on campus and in the city, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. A unique intensive period at the Center in Seville prepares you for the challenges of studying in a foreign university, while classes at the Center cater to your needs as a non-native speaker. Spanish Studies Abroad also provides you with many available resources to help you navigate through your experience.
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & board, meals, support of the onsite Spanish Studies staff, pre-departure support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, computer access, and a Spanish Studies transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the Center.
Successful completion of one semester of advanced college-level Spanish or the equivalent; minimum 3.0 GPA in Spanish coursework
Contact: Start your online application today
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002