January Term Program - Havana, Cuba
Why choose Havana?
The city of La Habana
, founded in 1514, and named after a local aboriginal chief, is Cuba’s cosmopolitan capital. Havana was once one of the most prosperous ports, and the third most populous city in the Americas. A beautiful city, with idyllic landscapes, captivating bays, and a rich, diverse culture, Havana is the site for an ideal learning experience.
January Term at Universidad de La Habana
The January Term Program gives intermediate to advanced Spanish-level students the unique opportunity to take language and content courses designed for international students studying Spanish at Universidad de La Habana
, all while benefiting from the cultural guidance, language tools, and academic quality that defines Spanish Studies Abroad.
The goal of the January Term Program is to guide you to live as a member of this community, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings.
In this atmosphere of constant immersion, you will share daily activities with fellow Cuban and international students, whether attending classes or socializing. Courses designed for international students learning Spanish and access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad de La Habana.
Learn the Language...
- All classes taught in Spanish by Cuban professors
- Earn 4 credits
- Courses designed for international students in a variety of disciplines
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Old Havana, the Museum of the Revolution, Farmers' Markets, grassroots community centers, jazz, salsa and hip-hop concerts and a day trip to Las Terrazas.
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & partial board (homestay with breakfast and dinner provided daily), support of the onsite Resident Director, pre-departure support, laundry, local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript. Optional activities are also available through the university.
- Successful completion of elementary college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- 3.0 GPA in Spanish language coursework. Content courses have additional language prerequisites.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old before program begins.
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011
The Spanish Studies Abroad Short-Term Programs are a special opportunity for students who can’t get away for a complete semester to take Cuban culture and Spanish language courses. January Term Programs include coursework at Universidad de La Habana (UH), along with study visits and cultural activities.
- Classes in Spanish designed for international students
- Earn 4 credits
- Choose from intensive language, history, culture, and literature courses·
- Study visits and activities
3.0 GPA in Spanish language coursework. Completion of elementary Spanish. Applicants must be at least 18 years old before the program begins. Content courses have a prerequisite of 4 semesters of college Spanish.
All courses are taught in Spanish by highly qualified Cuba university professors with extensive experience in teaching American students.
Study Trips and Cultural Visits:
All-inclusive program-sponsored excursions to places such as Old Havana, the Museum of the Revolution, Farmers' Markets, grassroots community centers, jazz, salsa and hip-hop concerts, Cienfuegos province and the colonial city of Trinidad
While in Havana, participants in our program will reside with local families in a homestay option unique to our program.
- Double occupancy room
- Orientation& Study Tours
- Spanish Studies transcript
- Support of onsite staff
- Breakfast and dinner