Summer Terms 1 & 2 - San Juan, Puerto Rico
Why choose San Juan?
Known today as “La Ciudad Amurallada” (the walled city), San Juan is one of the biggest natural harbors in the Caribbean and the oldest city in United States territory. It is also the one of the largest capitals in the Caribbean, with a population of over 2 million people. Old San Juan holds many of the government buildings and is characterized by its seventeenth and eighteenth century colonial style which echoes its Spanish ancestry.
Summer Terms: Intensive Language or Integrated Program
Spanish Studies Abroad Summer Terms in San Juan are specially designed for students either entering the beginner level, or at the high-advanced Spanish level, who want a rich immersion experience on a Spanish campus. This program is enhanced by study visits, cultural activities, and optional complementary survey courses, all of which help to bring context to the language and enhance immersion.
In the Intensive Language Summer program, beginner-level students take one 3-credit language course per term: Spanish as a Foreign Language Level 1 or Level 2. In the Integrated Summer program, high-advanced students select 1-2 courses from a variety of subjects at Universidad del Sagrado Corazón. Internships and Service Learning projects also available during summer for advanced students.
Learn the Language...
- Guided direct-enrollment in courses at Universidad del Sagrado Corazón
- Spanish-Only Policy
- Four-week Intensive Language and Culture session
- Intercambios with native speakers
Travel the Land...
- Visits to locations such as El Yunque (Tropical Rain Forest), Old San Juan, the city of Ponce and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in San Juan.
Live the Life...
- Organized cultural activities with Puerto Rican and international students
- Citywide festivals, upbeat nightlife and rich cultural attractions
- Access to Universidad del Sagrado Corazón campus resources
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
The goal of the Spanish Studies Abroad Summer Term is to guide you to live as a member of your host community, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for international students learning Spanish and access to cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad del Sagrado Corazón (USC).
Through university coursework, living in student dorms, and multiple cross-cultural opportunities, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in San Juan to be a highly immersive and integrated study abroad experience.
Program fees include tuition, housing, support of the onsite Resident Director, pre-departure support, local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a Spanish Studies transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
- for Intensive Language Summer: 3.0 overall GPA, no Spanish required.
- for Integrated Summer: 3.0 GPA in Spanish language coursework and completion of 4 semesters of college Spanish (or the equivalent).
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
Known today as “La Ciudad Amurallada” (the walled city), San Juan is one of the biggest natural harbors in the Caribbean and the oldest city in United States territory. It is also one of the largest capitals in the Caribbean, with a population of around 2.73 million people. Old San Juan holds many of the government buildings and is characterized by its seventeenth and eighteenth-century colonial style which echoes its Spanish ancestry.
Spanish Studies Abroad Summer Term in San Juan is specially designed for students entering absolute beginner to high-advanced Spanish levels who want a rich immersion experience on a Spanish campus. This intensive language program is enhanced by study visits, cultural activities, and optional complementary survey courses, all of which help to bring context to the language and enhance immersion.
The Summer Terms consist of four-week intensive language and/or content course sessions in June and July. In the Intensive Language Program, students take one 3-credit language course per term and have the option of taking a history course in English for an additional 3 credits. Advanced students in the Integrated Program select one or two courses from a variety of disciplines and may also choose to participate in an internship or service learning opportunity during their summer term.
The Spanish Studies Resident Director and staff guide you through this process of discovery by regular contact with Spanish Studies students and organizing exciting outdoor activities and study trips to get to know the culture and people of Puerto Rico.
INTENSIVE LANGUAGE FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
- Dedication to academic excellence
- Classes held Monday through Friday
- Intensive Spanish courses for beginners and for advanced students of Spanish
- Study visits included in program fees
- 3-6 semester credits per term
- No Spanish required for the Intensive Language Program and 4 semesters of college Spanish for Integrated Program
- All applicants must be at least 18 years old before program begins
- Enrollment in individual courses, especially language courses, may have additional prerequisites
- 3.0 overall GPA required
- No Spanish required
- Beginner Spanish, Level 1 offered in June
- Beginner Spanish, Level 2 offered in July
- Each course worth 3 credits
- Optional History of Puerto Rico course offered in June and taught in English
Students will live on campus in single-sex dorms with Latin American, Spanish, or Puerto Rican roommates. All dorms are double rooms, and come equipped with refrigerators, shared bathrooms and cooking facilities. Twenty-four-hour security ensures the absolute safety of students. Along with the main cafeteria and several snack bars, students will be able to take full advantage of the rich and delicious culinary culture in the town's many restaurants and eateries.
- Double-occupancy room
- Study visits & cultural activities
- Health Insurance
- Universidad del Sagrado Corazón and Spanish Studies Abroad transcript
- Support of on-site Spanish Studies staff
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002